Friday, May 30, 2008

Stuff

Okay, lame entry name. But it seemed to fit today's blarg - just "stuff" I've been looking at today.

I was amused by Bruce Jenkin's bit in today's SF Chron how Alex Hinshaw wears his hat. Sir Alex wears his hat with a flat brim, pulled down low and a little cock-eyed. I found a photo from his SJ Giants days that shows how he likes it:

Obviously, under normal circumstances, I'd have to say he's wearing it wrong. You just gotta bend the brim. Otherwise it's geeky. I'm making sure that my kids learn the proper way to wear a cap. But for some reason, I just like the idea of this guy wearing his cap this way. And so long as he keeps doing what he's been doing, I'm not gonna mock him for it, either.

Andrew Baggarly of the SJ Merc reports that the Giants are looking to deal some of the bullpen. Specifically, they're shopping around Thighler Walker, Vinnie Choke, Erik Threets and Brad Hennessey. I'd be happy to see Walker and Chulk go. I watch them pitch through the corner of one half-closed eye. Threets had the misfortune of going on the DL only to see Sir Alex's rise, displacing him from the 'pen; Threets' rehab assignment has to end today, and there's no room on the roster. He's got some real potential - it's a shame that the Giants can't keep him. Hennessey seems to have improved after his demotion to Fresno, where he's been starting. He may have some value.

I don't know what kind of players the Giants are looking for in return. Obviously there are needs on the corners, but I don't know that any of those guys can bring enough power or defense to the team. Some solid infleld/catching prospects would be good - as we've seen this season, the organization is kinda thin with regard to guys that can come up from the minors and perform at the big league level.

Should Cain be moved to the bullpen or even designated as the closer? MLB.com Giants beat reporter Chris Haft addresses this issue in his recent mailbag. Cain has had the misfortune of some awful run support over the last season-plus, which has led to a lopsided W-L record, considering his ERA and overall performance (although he's been a bit more spotty of late).

Haft notes that if Cain couldn't make it as a starter for some reason, he wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants try him in the bullpen. I'd only want him there if he were the closer - his stuff is too good for periodic short relief. Right now Wilson (NL leader in saves) is doing just fine as the closer, so I wouldn't want to mess with that. I want to see Cain stay in the lineup and work through his current rough patch. At some point, the guys will have to give him the offense he needs to pick up some more wins. And if that didn't work out, and the closer job still belongs to Wilson, I'd rather see a trade for a heavy bat.

And lastly: Awesome sweep of the D'backs. This gives me immense bragging rights against my nieces and nephew who root for the snakes. Who would have thought that my hapless Giants could take the series, let alone sweep it? I can't help but love this team.

No comments: