Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Giants and trades, past and future?

I saw a groovy spreadsheet that Brendan Bianowicz of MLBTR put together, detailing Brian Sabeans's complete trade history (Yankees and Giants). Interesting collection. Of course, there are a few that will always stand out (good and bad), no matter what else Sabean does in his career. Have a read.

As far as trades go for this season, Sabean has told Henry Shulman of the SF Chron that Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez are off limits. Sabean also says he's not thinking of trading Winn or Molina, but apparently the team is shopping Durham, Vizquel and Aurilia.

I'd be happy to see Durham go. He wore out his welcome with me a couple years ago. He may still swing the bat on occasion, but he's lost his speed on the base paths, and his brick-like glove aren't any help. Vizquel is still a sentimental favorite, but I have to admit his offense is likely gone, not to return. Aurilia is putting up a pretty good season, but if he can bring a prospect, I'd give him a fond farewell.

Andrew Baggarly of the Merc points out that the team called up Eugenio Velez (after sending down Brian Horwitz), and wonders:
Curious, I thought they wanted Velez to play every day at Fresno. Looking at his stats, he obviously turned things around and began playing with confidence again. I wonder about the timing, though. Could a Ray Durham trade be closer than we thought? How much will Velez play this time? All good questions to ask management tomorrow.
Might I hope that Ray moves on? But has Velez improved enough in Fresno to avoid the boneheaded play of earlier this season? I had originally been a Velez supporter (expecting him to improve with time), but after a few weeks of his poor baserunning and pathetic attempts at the plate, I found myself celebrating his demotion. Let's see how he does this time around. I still have enough misplaced optimism to hope for the best (the season hasn't completely beat me down yet).

As an aside, Baggarly has posted today's lineup - Velez isn't in it. More Durham showcasing, perhaps?

And finally, this may be old news, but I'm not particularly pleased with the Giants' promotion of Eliezer Alfonzo. My first post was about this guy testing positive for PEDs. He acknowledged the mistake initially, and apologized to the fans (does he have any?), although now I understand that his claimed story is that he took some tainted bronchitis medicine over the winter. Whatever. It would seem that the Giants want nothing to do with Barry Bonds, who never tested positive for stuff (although yes, I'm sure he used along with everybody else), but call up some mediocre player who was stupid enough to juice with today's penalties. Whatever.

No comments: