Friday, July 18, 2008

There's No Science in Baseball!

I was browsing through Newsweek on-line, and came across this "Sports Science" article: Why Lefties Make Better Baseball Players. Overall, an interesting read.

But the part I liked best was this little bit about the efficacy of sliding into first base, from a science perspective:
The only time you should slide into first base is if the first baseman is getting pulled off the bag by a wide throw so he has to tag you. In that case it might get you under the tag. But otherwise you're faster overrunning it. Now there are people who swear by diving. Their argument is that when you dive and your feet leave the ground you keep the same speed but get your hands out in front of you. Only, there's air friction. Though, I think if diving was in fact better, people would probably do it more.
I mainly liked it because of my man Omar Vizquel. Sliding into first base head-first is definitely "Omar Style." It's amazing how often it works for him (and frustrating how often it doesn't).

Now that I've paid tribute to him, it's time to point out that Vizquel should really retire now. I hate to see his lifetime stats dragged steadily downward this season, while he struggles to get any kind of offense going. He can use the knee as a reason, and get out with some dignity. Please?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omar is still playing? How old is he...like 61?

As much baseball as I used to watch I rarely saw the slide into first base work. I recall it working maybe a half dozen times, and I firmly believe that running through the base is faster and probably better than the slide into 1st.

CanOfCorn said...

He's actually like 75.

No, really he's just 41. But that's like a million years old in baseball years.

I do like watching the slide into first - but it doesn't really work. It's more of a "I'm gonna look really cool getting out" kind of move.

(And "Hi Zack!")